The Housewife Journal ~ Summer 2026 ~

 ~ Summer 2026 ~

Summer is in full swing! I'm trying to make the most of the sunshine and longer days, because although it's really humid and miserable most of the time, I know when everything starts dying and it gets colder, I'll be wishing for Summer! I've been loving each year at the new house, with little additions that I hadn't noticed the year before, like these whimsical little mushrooms that popped up all over the place in June. I've never seen so many unique variations! We've also been so busy, which is why I'm cramming all of Summer into one journal.



~ Out And About ~
 
The biggest highlight is that we went to see the Hillbilly Thomists in concert downtown! It was a fun family night where we knew so many people in the audience! They did a good job although I have to say I prefer a more traditional Bluegrass. Besides that, we haven't gone out much. We've started hosting regularly again, so that has taken up much of our time.


~ In The Home ~

For starters, we got 15 chicks! I only have one photo of them when they're small and scraggly. I wish I would have documented the whole experience but time just got away from me.


 I've made it a priority to go outside and sit with them every day, hand feeding them and getting them used to my touch. One almost fell asleep on my lap the other day as I was petting her. ๐Ÿ˜ŠWe also think one might be a rooster. It's a little soon to tell, but if he is, that would be a fun new learning curve.

update: my husband came home with three Guinea hens. They've been in the brooder growing their feathers while Jonathan and I decide where they're going after they get too big. Guineas are so interesting. They can jump/fly really high and they eat ticks and snakes (allegedly) So they need a good bit of height in their living space. And since they do best free ranging, they need a home outside of the chicken coop and lots of training so they stay on our property. This is kind of an experiment as we didn't realize all of this when we bought them. But, it should be fun to learn about caring for another kind of little critter!

~ Kitchen Happenings ~

So. Many. Pickles. When we first transplanted the cucumber plants outside, they looked like they wouldn't make it. Now they're out of control! So far we've made 12-15 jars of pickles, about a gallon of this cucumber drink we've been loving, given so many away, as well as just eating them with salt and pepper or on a salad. It's been nice but I couldn't be more happy that the cucumber season is over. Jonathan is trying to save a bunch of seeds for next year with the last harvest.



~ Things I'm Grateful For ~

Moments like the one pictured below— cool, rainy Summer afternoons spent on the screened-in porch with countercultural writing and a cup of coffee ๐Ÿ’–




~ On The Bookshelf ~ 

In June I tied up a lot of loose ends in my library. I finished True Devotion to Mary and The Connected Parent (the companion to The Connected Child) and I purchased my next read— Clothed with Beauty: A Catholic philosophy of Dress by Anna Kalinowska. I've been super excited for this one! After watching her get interviewed on the Glad Trad podcast, and seeing her sources, many of which I'm familiar with, I knew this would be a great book.

I also randomly picked up Lizzy and Jane by Katherine Reay. I just needed a little fiction in my life. I'm almost finished with it. I like her other novel, Dear Mr. Knightley better. However, I really like her writing style so I'm not disappointed! 


~ Other Random Things Worth Mentioning ~

The adoption process has come to a halt. Not because we're quitting, but because we are transferring to the domestic infant program! It's a long story. One that I intend to share eventually. But for now, I just wanted to share that quick little update.

Well, I hope your last few months have been full of fun memories with family and friends! Stay cool, and hang on to the last bits of summer that the world is trying to throw out the window to make Fall come faster. (don't get me wrong, I'm ready for Fall too. But Fall is not in August) See you next month!!


Gina๐Ÿ’•


Comments

Popular Posts